Mary Berry Settles 'Milk In First' Tea Debate And It's The Most British Thing Ever
Many of you willl read this and think, of course the bloody milk goes in second, you plebian. But I'm talking to the outsiders. The mavericks. The utter fruitcakes, who firmly believe the milk goes in BEFORE the tea, in order to make the perfect brew. For years we've let you make this life choice with little more than a disgusted face in the office kitchen, but things have gone on long enough.
The Queen of all things delicious has spoken, and you are making your tea wrong, old friend. Mary Berry says the milk goes in SECOND, and we'll hear no more on the subject.
The Great British Bake Off star waxed lyrical for the Guardian on the merits of the perfect cuppa, and she ain't taking no prisoners.
"I believe it is correct to put the milk in second so you can judge how much you need", she says. You tell 'em, Mezza.
In possibily the most British article ever, she told The Guardian that tea should contain fresh, not re-boiled water, must be taken in china cups (it tastes more delicate) and Earl Grey lovers should use leaves. Oh, and the only time you should be drinking it is the afternoon.
Here are Mary's full instructions for the perfect cuppa - go forth and be British, you scallywags:
1. Fill the kettle with fresh water. It gives a better flavour than re-boiled water, which can taste stale. Warm your teapot with a swirl of the boiled water.
2. If you are heading out to the garden and the tea is going to hang about a bit, heat the cups too. I don’t like a mug; in the afternoon it must be a bone china cup and saucer, as for some reason I think it tastes better and more delicate.
3. If I am making Earl Grey, I use leaves – one teaspoon per person and one for the pot.
4. Put the lid on the teapot and let it stand for a couple of minutes. Give it a stir, let the leaves drop and pour. If using teabags, let them infuse for a few minutes. Do not squeeze as this forces the flavour.
5. If you have very fine china, put the milk in first to prevent the cup cracking, but I believe it is correct to put the milk in second so you can judge how much you need.
6. If I have given someone a cup of tea and they aren’t taking sugar, I take the spoon away – I don’t like it rattling on the saucer. For me, sugar in tea spoils the taste, particularly as I like to serve it with cake or a biscuit, which is sweetness enough. Match the china and serve your cake with a small tea fork to eat it with – nothing nicer!
This Friends Clothing Line Caters To Superfans Only
I went to Minsk and all I got was this AMAZING T-shirt!
Randy Rainbow Rinses Trump With Hilarious 'Major-General' Parody
"He is the very model of a 'very stable' genius..."
A Giant Statue Of Jeff Goldblum Has Appeared In London And We're So Confused
Can you Goldblum-ieve it?! Sorry...
Wait, Primark's New Friends Range Includes Monica's Peephole
And Friends cookie jars. And blankets. And PILLOWS!
Twitter Users Name The Goddamn Cringiest Movies They Can't Help But Adore
Pierce Brosnan... singing. Unforgivable.
This Maid Of Honour Stole The Wedding With Her Version Of The Fresh Prince Rap
8 Amazing Facts We Learned From Murr's Reddit AMA
Fame, friends, and romance, ooh la la!
The Absolute Funniest Reactions To Donald Trump's UK Visit
Zach Braff: "Holy f*ck, they hate him so much."
Why 10 Things I Hate About You Is The Best Film Of All Time
Twitter says so. So, there.
UK Summer 2018 Festivals You Don't Want To Miss
We want to visit ALL OF THEM.
Everything We Know About The Impractical Jokers Movie So Far
We want to see it NOW.
Only Super Fans Will Understand This Amazing New Range of Friends Dolls
Featuring Monica's Bahamas braids AND the turkey head!
Fix Your Heartbreak By Watching This Unstoppable Lemon Roll Down A Hill
The nation is gripped.
Experts Monitored Rick & Morty Fan's Typical Viewing Habits And Wow, Just Wow
Own up, who binge-watches each new series in ONE DAY?
Sitcom Writers Reveal What Your Fave TV Characters Are Doing In 2018
Rachel and Ross ARE still together... but what about Gavin & Stacey?
The Best Upcoming Animated Films Of 2018 You Don't Want To Miss
Grab your diaries, you NEED to see these.
9 Reasons To Be Completely In Love With England Right Now
Seriously, is this the best summer or WHAT?
25 Super Weird, Crazy Fun Things To Do In London
Come sniff Amy Winehouse's poo. We dare you.
Primark Is Selling Friends Bedding And Could We BE More Excited?
Where better to master the hug 'n' roll?
Matt LeBlanc Just Found Out That Monica Was Supposed To End Up With Joey & He Sounds Confused AF
Could he BE more freaked out?