23 Situations That Strike Fear Into The Hearts Of British People
Being British is an exhausting enterprise.
Alright, we're not living in war-torn Somalia, but life as an anxious Brit is almost as bad as being pursued by pirates every day. Though we're a mighty force on the world stage (or so we like to tell ourselves), deep down we're a bunch of scaredy cats.
A very specific bunch of scaredy cats, mind. There are some things that strike fear into the heart of every British person in a way that no one of any other nationality could understand.
1. Sitting in a reserved seat on a train knowing full well that you have no reservation
2. Having an issue with your meal and knowing you’ve got no choice but to complain
3. Telling someone an anecdote and realising everyone is listening in
4. Meeting up with someone you haven't seen for a while and not knowing how to greet them
5. Seeing the sky turn grey and realising you don’t have your umbrella
6. Leaving a shop without buying anything, knowing full well that you’re not a thief, but still
7. Accidentally touching a stranger on public transport
8. Around 9 o’clock on a Sunday evening
9. “What are you doing later?”
10. Getting a call from a number you don’t recognise
11. Sitting in a toilet cubicle and someone knocking on the door
12. Being handed a cup of tea this colour
13. Having an empty seat next to you on the bus
14. “So, tell us about yourself”
15. Anyone knocking on the door at any time
16. Going on a team building away day with work
17. Making eye contact with a charity mugger walking down the street
18. Being assured that you’re not in trouble
19. Getting a letter in a brown envelope from the government
20. Being asked to ‘say a few words’
21. Seeing someone you half know in the supermarket and hiding in the next aisle
When you see your ex at the supermarket and hide behind this wall of Pringles like a grownup. pic.twitter.com/S4I5mdDsIb
— Colin 〽️owgli (@ColinDieden) January 28, 2016
22. Buying a pack of chewing gum just to get change from a £20
23. Going to the till, seeing there’s two queues
Related: Britain's 23 Filthiest Street Signs
Five Reasons You Need To Go To DragWorld This Month
Gentlemen, start your engines!
This Friends-Inspired 'Pivot' Tutorial Will Change Your Life
Bryan Cranston Auditioned For Pineapple Express But Judd Apatow Thought He Wasn't Scary Enough
"Maybe the Breaking Bad people would have said, “not him, he always plays drug dealers.”
Quiz: Will You Make It Through Festival Season?
Will you survive through to September?!
Quiz: How Many Festival Cliches Have You Committed?
We've pretty much been there and done all of them…
David Schwimmer To Appear In New Will & Grace As Grace's Bae
It's Time To Revisit This Cringey Windows 95 Video Starring Rachel And Chandler
"Look Matty! I'm computing!"
This Windows 95 Themed Instagram Is The Ultimate Nostalgia-Trip
The Expectation v Reality Of Summer Festivals
What you expect v what you really get at all your favourite summer festivals…
British Festivals v American Festivals: How Do They Compare?
Glasto or Coachella? Creamfields or EDC?
Sketch And Theatre Shows To Catch At The Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2018
Drag queens and quartets and show tunes... oh my!
Seth Rogen Shares All The Pineapple Express Gossip 10 Years After The Film's Release
Title origins, injuries and a whole lot of pot...
Die Hard Friends Fans Are Split On Whether A Reunion Should Happen
Reboot means reboot.
Cole Sprouse AKA Ben Geller Is The Same Age As Jennifer Aniston in Friends Series 1, WTF
The One Where We're Old And Decrepit
20 Years Later, Medical Advisor Debunks Friends 'Pee On Jellyfish Sting' Cure
To pee or not to pee...
Mike Hannigan Had The Glow Up Of The Century And We're So Proud
No one would dare call him Crap Bag now...
Don't Miss These Incredible Shows At Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2018
You will laugh so hard your belly hurts...
OMG! The Twins Who Played Friends' Baby Emma Will Star In Jordan Peele's New Film
They're 16 years old now!
Will Smith Shows Everyone How The Drake #InMyFeelingsChallenge Is Done
Fresh Prinnnnce, do you loooove meeee?
Murr From Impractical Jokers Is Hosting A Series Of UK Parties And We're So Excited
This MUST be a prank...