23 Situations That Strike Fear Into The Hearts Of British People
Being British is an exhausting enterprise.
Alright, we're not living in war-torn Somalia, but life as an anxious Brit is almost as bad as being pursued by pirates every day. Though we're a mighty force on the world stage (or so we like to tell ourselves), deep down we're a bunch of scaredy cats.
A very specific bunch of scaredy cats, mind. There are some things that strike fear into the heart of every British person in a way that no one of any other nationality could understand.
1. Sitting in a reserved seat on a train knowing full well that you have no reservation
2. Having an issue with your meal and knowing you’ve got no choice but to complain
3. Telling someone an anecdote and realising everyone is listening in
4. Meeting up with someone you haven't seen for a while and not knowing how to greet them
5. Seeing the sky turn grey and realising you don’t have your umbrella
6. Leaving a shop without buying anything, knowing full well that you’re not a thief, but still
7. Accidentally touching a stranger on public transport
8. Around 9 o’clock on a Sunday evening
9. “What are you doing later?”
10. Getting a call from a number you don’t recognise
11. Sitting in a toilet cubicle and someone knocking on the door
12. Being handed a cup of tea this colour
13. Having an empty seat next to you on the bus
14. “So, tell us about yourself”
15. Anyone knocking on the door at any time
16. Going on a team building away day with work
17. Making eye contact with a charity mugger walking down the street
18. Being assured that you’re not in trouble
19. Getting a letter in a brown envelope from the government
20. Being asked to ‘say a few words’
21. Seeing someone you half know in the supermarket and hiding in the next aisle
When you see your ex at the supermarket and hide behind this wall of Pringles like a grownup. pic.twitter.com/S4I5mdDsIb
— Colin 〽️owgli (@ColinDieden) January 28, 2016
22. Buying a pack of chewing gum just to get change from a £20
23. Going to the till, seeing there’s two queues
Related: Britain's 23 Filthiest Street Signs
RuPaul Becomes The First Drag Queen EVER To Land A Star On The Hollywood Walk Of Fame
Did YOU Notice Matt LeBlanc Mouthing Jennifer Aniston’s Lines?
How have we never noticed this?
Shangela Doesn’t Want You To Hate On Trixie For Winning All Stars 3
We love a selfless icon.
Rick And Morty Star In Run The Jewels' Latest Hip Hop Video
This Sh!t is LIT!
Rick And Morty Just Played The Main Stage At A Festival, WT Actual F
Life doesn't get better than this.
The Internet Shares All The Wonderful, Nice Things It Absolutely HATES
Dogs in costumes, guys. STOP IT.
Beyonce Fans Admit Depraved Things They'd Do For Concert Tickets And OK, WOW
Is everything okay at home, guys?
Teen Co-Star Tells Adorable Stories Of Will Smith On The Fresh Prince Set
"He was still a human being through the process of everything."
Matt LeBlanc Is Not Keen On A Reboot Called 'Old Friends'
"Personally? I don't think so."
People Are Claiming They Can Hear Janice Through This Photo
OH. MY. GOD.
The SNL Cast Impersonated The Oscar Nominees And It’s HILARIOUS
They were spot on.
Taylor Swift Has Us Screaming 'MOOD' In The 'Delicate' Music Video
Honestly, Taylor is us 24/7.
7 Times You Missed Friends Foreshadowing Its Celeb Guest Stars
Tweets That Prove Macaulay Culkin's The Funniest Person On The Internet
First up, he's called @IncredibleCulk.
STOP EVERYTHING: The Impractical Jokers Are Getting Their Own Movie
Murr just confirmed it and OMG!
Matt LeBlanc Sniffed Big Foot's Sh*t And Fans Ain't Happy
"It looks like human food in it. It smells like sh*t!"
Courteney Cox's Ex-Husband Shares Cute Emmys Story About The Friends Cast
"Courteney Cox and I made fake mini Emmys for the entire crew of Friends."
White Movie Stars Switched With Black Lead Actors In Powerful Poster Series
"If you're surprised, it means you don't see enough black people in major roles."
Phoebe, Monica And Rachel Still Have Their Own Whatsapp Group
Courteney Cox just revealed: "I really don't like it!"
Friends Creators Step In To Defend 'Homophobic' Chandler
"His Dad was transgender", said Marta Kauffman.