21 Things Christopher Lee Did That You Probably Haven't
1. Fought James Bond, Yoda and Gandalf. And nearly beat them.
2. Received a knighthood, a BAFTA fellowship, a BFI fellowship, a Bram Stoker Gold Medal, a Metal Hammer Golden Gods award, an honorary membership of three stunt unions and a lifetime membership of the university College Dublin Law Society, as well as been named a French Commander of the Order of Arts and Letters.
3. Been related to James Bond creator Ian Fleming and met Lord of The Rings creator J.R.R. Tolkien.
4. Met Rasputin’s assassins then later gone on to play Rasputin in a film.
5. Witnessed France’s last public execution.
6. Served as an intelligence officer in World War Two, fighting in the Finnish Army, the Home Guard and the RAF. Narrowly escaped a few bombings. Suppressed a mutiny by smooth-talking the mutineers. Been attached to the SAS. Twenty years later, been turned down for a role for not looking military enough.
7. Climbed Mount Vesuvius three days before it erupted. Not long later, tripped over a bomb and been fine. Then lived for another seventy-odd years.
8. Casually decided to become an actor over lunch one day, and gone on to appear in over 275 films.
9. Completely owned the role of Count Dracula to the point that the description of him in the books seems rubbish. Lee played Count Dracula ten times, receiving only a grand the first time.
10. Sneaked Bram Stoker lines into later underwhelming Dracula scripts to bring a bit of class to proceedings.
11. Coincidentally move in next door to Boris Karloff on the world’s scariest road.
12. Turned down the roles of Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars, Professor Loomis in Halloween and King Balor in Hellboy II.
13. Appeared in two Best Picture Academy Awards winners over fifty years apart (1948’s Hamlet and 2003’s The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King), something nobody else has ever done.
14. Felt one film he was making was so rubbish that he refused to speak any lines, hissing instead. Appeared in a porn film without knowing it was a porn film.
15. Judged a Miss World competition in his seventies.
16. Known the names of every British executioner since the 15th century off by heart.
17. Played Dracula, Frankenstein’s Monster, Thor, Rasputin, the Mummy, Henry Baskerville, Sherlock Holmes, Mycroft Holmes, Fu Manchu, Dr Jekyll, Mr Hyde, the Comte de Rochefort, Death, Saruman, Count Dooku and the Jabberwocky.
18. Been responsible for kick-starting the project that later became The Wicker Man, one of the best British films of all time and one of Lee's greatest performances.
19. Modelled on a Wings album cover.
20. Been in a Police Academy movie – the seventh one, Mission To Moscow.
21. Got into metal in his 80s and released two albums about Charlemagne and four EPs of covers. What a badass.
BONUS: Look at this handsome bastard.
Rick And Morty Star In Run The Jewels' Latest Hip Hop Video
This Sh!t is LIT!
The Winner Of RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 3 Is Revealed: Condragulations!
SO many spoilers in this article...
Instagram Account Turns Call Me By Your Name Into Monet Artwork
Yeah, they named it 'Call Me By Monet'.
RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 3 Finale Is TONIGHT, But Who Deserves To Win?
Tonight at 2am on Comedy Central!
Cartoon Impractical Jokers Is Here And It's Everything We Dreamed Of
It's all we ever wanted.
Rick And Morty Just Played The Main Stage At A Festival, WT Actual F
Life doesn't get better than this.
The Internet Shares All The Wonderful, Nice Things It Absolutely HATES
Dogs in costumes, guys. STOP IT.
Beyonce Fans Admit Depraved Things They'd Do For Concert Tickets And OK, WOW
Is everything okay at home, guys?
Teen Co-Star Tells Adorable Stories Of Will Smith On The Fresh Prince Set
"He was still a human being through the process of everything."
Matt LeBlanc Is Not Keen On A Reboot Called 'Old Friends'
"Personally? I don't think so."
RIP Stephen Hawking, Here Are Some Of His Funniest Moments
He will be missed.
People Are Claiming They Can Hear Janice Through This Photo
OH. MY. GOD.
This Dog Has A Human Face And The Internet Is Losing It
Is that a dog or a human?
The 2017 Funny Women Awards Results Are In
It's what they deserve!
The SNL Cast Impersonated The Oscar Nominees And It’s HILARIOUS
They were spot on.
Taylor Swift Has Us Screaming 'MOOD' In The 'Delicate' Music Video
Honestly, Taylor is us 24/7.
The Internet Shares Ken Dodd's All-Time Funniest Jokes
Fans & comedians pay their respects to the comedy legend, who has died aged 90.
7 Times You Missed Friends Foreshadowing Its Celeb Guest Stars
Tweets That Prove Macaulay Culkin's The Funniest Person On The Internet
First up, he's called @IncredibleCulk.
Macaulay Culkin Debunks Theory That Home Alone's Kevin Grew Up To Be Jigsaw
He called out that weird Elvis story AND all his fake deaths.