Eight-year-old Ramona Marquez has become the first child to win a British Comedy Award, after being named best female newcomer in Saturday’s ceremony.
She was one of three gongs the semi-improvised BBC One sitcom Outnumbered scooped, including best sitcom and the overall prize for best comedy.
Her co-stars Daniel Roche, nine, Tyger Drew-Honey, 13, and adult star Claire Skinner had been up for awards too; but in the end best male newcomer went to Charlie Brooker for You Have Been Watching, and best actress went to Katherine Parkinson for The IT Crowd.
Harry Hill (pictured) scooped two awards for best entertainment programme and personality, while Michael McIntyre won best stand-up, saying: ‘This is the one I really wanted.’
And the outstanding contribution to comedy award went to Peter Kay.
Meanwhile, last night, Eddie Izzard won an award of a different type; being given a special accolade at the 2009 BBC Sports Personality of the Year for running 43 consecutive marathons for Sport Relief.
The complete list of British Comedy Award winners is:
- Best comedy entertainment personality: Harry Hill: Harry Hill's TV Burp
- Best comedy entertainment programme: Harry Hill's TV Burp
- Best television comedy actor: Simon Bird: The Inbetweeners
- Best television comedy actress: Katherine Parkinson: The IT Crowd
- Best new British television comedy: Psychoville
- Best television comedy drama: Pulling: special
- Best live stand-up performer: Michael McIntyre
- Best male comedy newcomer: Charlie Brooker: You Have Been Watching
- Best female comedy newcomer: Ramona Marquez: Outnumbered
- Best comedy panel show: Have I Got News For You
- Best sitcom: Outnumbered Best sketch show: Harry & Paul
- Best comedy film: In the Loop
- Writer's Guild Of Great Britain Ronnie Barker Award: Graham Linehan
- Lifetime achievement: Sir Terry Wogan
- Outstanding contribution to comedy: Peter Kay
- Best British comedy: Outnumbered
Copyright : Comedy Central UK