19 Harry Potter Things That Got Lost In Translation
1. In the Japanese version of the book, “charms” were translated as “Fairy Magic”.
2. And in Turkish, “charms” became “talismans”.
3. Japanese Hagrid speaks with a Tōhoku dialect instead of the West Country accent.
4. And the legend has it that the word they used for wand in the Japanese version was very close to “walking stick”. Many Japanese children were really surprised when the films came out and the characters were actually carrying tiny sticks in their hands.
5. The anagram for “I am Lord Voldemort” in French is… "Tom Elvis Jedusor". French Voldemort’s middle name is Elvis. Let that sink in.
6. The Pensieve is a great example of how J.K. Rowling skilfully used wordplay in her books. Unfortunately, wordplay is every translator’s biggest nightmare. That’s why in German, The Pensive is called a "think aquarium", in Swedish it’s "memory sieve", and in Norwegian - "thought tank".
7. Same thing happens with Hogwarts and its houses. For example, Czech translation changes Hogwarts to Bradavice and Gryffindor becomes Nevelvír.
8. Interestingly enough, the Polish translation left most of the original names intact - adding a little translation section at the end of each book for those curious what the names mean in their native language.
9. The Italians got a little bit too enthusiastic while translating the books and took Dumbledore’s name completely seriously - by calling him Prof. Silente.
10. The first edition of the German version of The Philosopher’s Stone translated Sirius Black’s name to Sirius Schwartz - which obviously means “black” in German. But by the third book, the publishing company realised they made a mistake and started calling Harry’s godfather Sirius Black, just like the rest of us in the English-speaking world. Apparently thousands of German children were extremely confused by this sudden change.
11. Fun fact: the Romanian translation of Harry Potter was initially done by a 16-year-old girl.
12. She also translated “Quidditch” as “Whoosh-Catch”.
13. In Latvian, S.P.E.W.s were translated to V.E.M.T. which literally means “to vomit”.
14. What’s more, the Latvian version of Hermione Granger became Hermiona Įkyrėlė (literally “Annoying”) and Draco Malfoy became Draco Smirdžius (“Stinky”).
15. The early German versions of the fourth book translated "800 barrels of mulled mead" to "800 barrels of mulled meat”. Don’t ask us why.
16. “Vault 713” also magically became “vault 719” for them, because why not?
17. And "exploding snap" was translated to "Snape explodiert", meaning "exploding Snape”. Did they even try at this point?
18. You’ll never guess what the Russians translated “professor Quirrel” to. Ready? “Professor Squirrel”.
19. Not to mention that the translation of the fourth book was very rushed, with several people translating different chapters, so some of the names change from chapter to chapter. Why, just please tell us, WHY?
So there you have it - reading Harry Potter in another language could be a completely different experience!
RELATED: Harry Potter Continuity Mistakes You Definitely Didn't Notice
Harry Potter Continuity Mistakes You Definitely Didn't Notice
1 of 21
2 of 21
3 of 21
4 of 21
5 of 21
6 of 21
7 of 21
8 of 21
9 of 21
10 of 21
11 of 21
12 of 21
13 of 21
14 of 21
15 of 21
16 of 21
17 of 21
18 of 21
19 of 21
20 of 21
21 of 21
Which Personality Trait Helped You Survive Secondary School?
It was sheer resilience for us tbh.
7 Reasons This Friends-Themed London Brunch Rave Couldn't BE More Exciting
Could we BE any more jealous?
Space Jam 2 Is Happening And LeBron James Is Set To Star Alongside Bugs Bunny
Ryan Coogler, too? Yes please.
First Look! Watch David Schwimmer Play Will & Grace Character Nothing Like Ross
We love a comeback!
10 Times Tiffany Haddish Was The Queen Of Everything Tbh
Find Out If You Could Handle Life In School With Kevin Hart
Probs not, let's be honest.
The Kevin Hart Guide To Dating (And What Not To Do)
Kevin Hart's characters have made alllll of the dating mistakes so you don't have to…
Kevin Hart's Funniest Movie One-Liners
How quotable can one man be?!
This Friends X Marvel Crossover Will Will Make You Question Everything
The Impractical Jokers Sold Out Their Completely Free Show In Hours
We're SO proud.
Judy Geller Debunks Friends Comeback Rumours Once And For All
Judy the ORACLE.
Everything You Need To Know About Comedy Central Live
Jimmy Carr, Russell Howard and Katherine Ryan headline Comedy Central Live, a three-day stand-up festival taking place at Southampton’s Hoglands Park on 5th, 6th and 7th October, 2018.
Kanye West Is Obsessed With Rick And Morty, Which Makes A Lot Of Sense, Actually
"Poopity scoop" takes on a whole new meaning.
Impractical Jokers Moments That Make Hilarious Unintentional Memes
Sal, Q and the gang are funniest when they don't mean to be...
The UK’s 10 Most Iconic Film Quotes EVER
This Friends-Themed Brunch Is About To Make Your Instagram Incredible
So no one told you BRUNCH was gonna be this GREAT?
Six Of The Wackiest Films Of The 80s/90s
This is going to be a good Halloween...
Where To Lol As The Leaves Fall In Autumn 2018
Laugh in the face of grim weather with this lot.
15 Most Outrageous Moments On Impractical Jokers
Piercings, planes and plenty of poop.
These Are The Movies Coming Out In 2018 You NEED To See
This will be an iconic year in film history.