19 Harry Potter Things That Got Lost In Translation
1. In the Japanese version of the book, “charms” were translated as “Fairy Magic”.
2. And in Turkish, “charms” became “talismans”.
3. Japanese Hagrid speaks with a Tōhoku dialect instead of the West Country accent.
4. And the legend has it that the word they used for wand in the Japanese version was very close to “walking stick”. Many Japanese children were really surprised when the films came out and the characters were actually carrying tiny sticks in their hands.
5. The anagram for “I am Lord Voldemort” in French is… "Tom Elvis Jedusor". French Voldemort’s middle name is Elvis. Let that sink in.
6. The Pensieve is a great example of how J.K. Rowling skilfully used wordplay in her books. Unfortunately, wordplay is every translator’s biggest nightmare. That’s why in German, The Pensive is called a "think aquarium", in Swedish it’s "memory sieve", and in Norwegian - "thought tank".
7. Same thing happens with Hogwarts and its houses. For example, Czech translation changes Hogwarts to Bradavice and Gryffindor becomes Nevelvír.
8. Interestingly enough, the Polish translation left most of the original names intact - adding a little translation section at the end of each book for those curious what the names mean in their native language.
9. The Italians got a little bit too enthusiastic while translating the books and took Dumbledore’s name completely seriously - by calling him Prof. Silente.
10. The first edition of the German version of The Philosopher’s Stone translated Sirius Black’s name to Sirius Schwartz - which obviously means “black” in German. But by the third book, the publishing company realised they made a mistake and started calling Harry’s godfather Sirius Black, just like the rest of us in the English-speaking world. Apparently thousands of German children were extremely confused by this sudden change.
11. Fun fact: the Romanian translation of Harry Potter was initially done by a 16-year-old girl.
12. She also translated “Quidditch” as “Whoosh-Catch”.
13. In Latvian, S.P.E.W.s were translated to V.E.M.T. which literally means “to vomit”.
14. What’s more, the Latvian version of Hermione Granger became Hermiona Įkyrėlė (literally “Annoying”) and Draco Malfoy became Draco Smirdžius (“Stinky”).
15. The early German versions of the fourth book translated "800 barrels of mulled mead" to "800 barrels of mulled meat”. Don’t ask us why.
16. “Vault 713” also magically became “vault 719” for them, because why not?
17. And "exploding snap" was translated to "Snape explodiert", meaning "exploding Snape”. Did they even try at this point?
18. You’ll never guess what the Russians translated “professor Quirrel” to. Ready? “Professor Squirrel”.
19. Not to mention that the translation of the fourth book was very rushed, with several people translating different chapters, so some of the names change from chapter to chapter. Why, just please tell us, WHY?
So there you have it - reading Harry Potter in another language could be a completely different experience!
RELATED: Harry Potter Continuity Mistakes You Definitely Didn't Notice
Harry Potter Continuity Mistakes You Definitely Didn't Notice
1 of 21
2 of 21
3 of 21
4 of 21
5 of 21
6 of 21
7 of 21
8 of 21
9 of 21
10 of 21
11 of 21
12 of 21
13 of 21
14 of 21
15 of 21
16 of 21
17 of 21
18 of 21
19 of 21
20 of 21
21 of 21
FriendsFest Is Back!
The summer's biggest TV event is back!
The 2019 Oscar Nominations Are Finally Here And WOAH
There are some real surprises.
50 Super Weird, Crazy Fun Things To Do In London
Come sniff Amy Winehouse's poo. We dare you.
Amazing Shows, Gigs And Plays You Can't Miss In 2019
From comedy to cabaret, fill up your calendar...
The One With Russ' Turns 23 Today And It's Still Weird AF
Almost a quarter of a century later, we still don't get it.
23 Years Later, Friends' Russ VS. 'Snaro' Mystery Is Solved
THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION!
25 Weird And Wonderful Things To Do This Christmas In London
'Tis the season to be (very, very) jolly...
The Comedy Lovers Christmas Gift Guide 2018
Get some LOLs in your life this Crimbo.
The Impractical Jokers Spill The Beans On Season 7 Christmas Finale
"Who knows, Santa may show up or may not, we'll see!"
New Look Just Released A Range Of Friends Christmas T-Shirts
Here's to a lousy Christmas, and a crappy new year!
2-4-1 Cinema Tickets To See Some Christmas Classics
Home Alone, The Muppet Christmas Carol, Elf, Bad Santa and more at the BFI!
Dude! Stoner Saturdays Are Coming to the BFI
Under 25? You can get in for just £3
RuPaul Hints Trixie Mattel SHOULDN'T Have Won All Stars Amid Elimination Changes
"I didn't count on the other girls who came back being so vindictive [to Shangela]!"
The First Toy Story 4 Trailer Reveals A Dangerous New Character
"Somebody get him before he pokes an eye out!"
Elle McPherson Sets Record Straight On Rumours She Regretted Starring In Friends
"Had I known how successful it was before going, I think I would have chickened out because it was such an iconic show."
Which WTF Advent Calendar Will You Choose This Crimbo?
Dog food, gin, and even cheese! We've got it all covered...
Here's Every Single Detail Released About The Impractical Jokers Movie
The HUGE pranks, the wrap cake, the DIRECTOR'S CHAIR? This is all too much...
Oh. My. God! Ugly Naked Guy Called For A Friends Reunion
HE TALKED ABOUT THE POKING DEVICE.
Emotional Tom Hanks Had To Turn His Back On Toy Story Creators During Final Scene
He called the final movie "a moment in history'.
Ed Helms’ Most Memorable One-Liners
“Hey Phil, Am I missing a tooth?”