You know a song is timeless when you can still recall the words 21 years later (yeah, you read that right. You're old), even more so when painfully current singers like Taylor Swift are happy to sing it live during their sell-out world tours.
The simple melody, hilarious lyrics and Lisa Kudrow's strained warbling combined to make one of the most iconic tunes of the 90s - but a Friends writer has revealed the song was almost completely different.
Betsy Borns, who co-wrote the 1995 episode 'The One With The Baby On The Bus', has spoken about how aspects of her personal life at the time shaped the song. The main one being a really effing stinky dog.
Speaking to Refinery29, Borns revealed that the song she originally penned was about a 'Smelly Dog’, in her pet's honour. The pooch ponged so bad, she'd already named him accordingly:
"My dog was so smelly his name was Gouda, because he smelled like bad cheese," she explained.
But Gouda's time in the spotlight was short-lived, as script edits led to the creation of a smelly cat, THE Smelly Cat, instead.
"It was determined that “cat” was funnier", she went on.
Lisa Kudrow came up with the tune with a little help from Chrissie Hynde, who was guest starring in the episode. Borns talked about how else she inserted details of her life into the show - her sister’s name is Stephanie, so she named Chrissie Hynde’s character (Phoebe's mortal enemy), after her.
Chandler and Joey suggest going for a drink with the ladies they meet on the bus (where they lose Ben) at a bar called Markel's, which was named after her then-boyfriend’s father.
Obsessed with Friends Easter eggs? Check out the secret meaning behind EVERY SINGLE Magna Doodle actoss the entire series:
The Ultimate Guide To Every Magna Doodle Sketch In FriendsFact: It reappeared in Joey!
Related: Amazing Friends bloopers you didn't notice first time round
Friends BloopersFriends Bloopers
Related: If the Friends characters had a Burn Book
The Friends Burn BookRachel Green is a fugly slut.
- Comedy Gigs & Theatre Shows You Cannot Miss In 2020*insert inspirational blurb here*
- Hilarious Valentine's Day Gift Ideas That Don't Completely SuckThe 14th February doesn't *have* to be miserable, you know...
- WTF Things To Do in London In 2020Weird and wonderful things to keep you busy. Emphasis on the weird.
- Tips For Boosting Your Mood This JanuaryWe’ve got some sweet tips for boosting your mental health and making the most of your January.
- Theatre Shows & Comedy Acts You Cannot Miss In 2019Laugh, cry then laugh again!